Wednesday, January 6, 2016

D A M S E L F L Y

Hustle And Heart Will Set You Apart

When the count down starts at 23:59:50 on NYE and everyone frantically runs around in an attempt to fill up their glasses and prepare to toast to the New Year, I am usually sat (or in this year's case, stood) contemplating what I want from the year to come. It's such a romantic notion that the New Year brings with it a whole list of new opportunities and adventures just waiting to be uncovered. I mean, who doesn't want a fresh start and to build themselves into the empire they've always imagined. For my New Year's resolution I wanted to be realistic. For too long now I've always focused on the need to lose 20lbs, gain three inches in height and make an effort to look fashionable every day - goals which are completely unrealistic (the height one especially) unless life doesn't screw you over at some point along the way. And let's be honest, life always finds a way to . So for 2016 I said to myself that I would be realistic, and after reading this article on Quartz, that is exactly what I am aiming to do. 

If you've found this little head space from social media, you might be aware that I was previously the owner of another fashion blog called VDM. I started that little venture in 2012 and gained success and coverage from the likes of Cosmopolitan Magazine among others. But then I started university, and when you're living in the biggest party city in the UK you're not really focusing on anything but the projects you've got due in to class and how many red cups you need to order for Friday's little big get-together. So with my resolution this year being to get my shit together after doing a little travelling up the East Coast (I'm currently living in Sydney, Australia) in the coming months, I wanted to start fresh and stop trying to make fetch happen with VDM. I'm in a different stage of my life and I need something that is going to reflect that. Hence, the birth of White Onyx.



























Now that the obligatory introductions are over with, now is the interesting part! With my resolution being what it is - and the fact I love anything with a motivational or witty quote - I wanted to buy something aside from my 2016 diary that would keep me in the right mindset. So on my Sunday off work whilst on a little day trip to Manly with my partner, we stopped off in this little hole in the wall shop that sold some high fashion garments, as well as homeware - my favourite. That was when I first  came across the majestical little brand Damselfly.

If you don't fall in love with how adorable looking the creator Christina is, or the fact that their tag line is "Shine bright. Be Fierce. Feel the magic.", then you'll definitely love their quote candles and the fact that they come naughty or nice. With options such as, "Such a fucking lady", "I'm actually a mermaid" and "Girl Boss", there's a candle for everyone - and each has a different scent. Obviously I went with the more motivational, nice quote, but I can 100% predict I will be purchasing one for each room in my house at this rate. My candle in the photo above smells of orchard apples, citrus, vanilla and bergamot and was my absolute favourite scent when I was trying them all. All I can say is that our bedroom smells amazing and even my boyfriend (a manly, 6ft4 rugby player) was all over this latest purchase. Men like candles more than they let on!

Prices for the candles range from $39.95 - $49.95 and you can buy them via the Damselfly website. The quality of the candle you are buying really does reflect the price; 80 hours of burn time, two wicks and the pot itself is glass with an engraved wooden lid - this was my favourite part, as its perfect for putting the flame out when you're done with it for the day.

Let me know what your favourites are, and don't forget to connect with us via Instagram here!

No comments:

Post a Comment